Four one day professional development workshops for practitioners in Erosion and Sediment Control, based on the IECA Best Practice in Erosion and Sediment Control Manual (2008). Includes detailed coverage of the revised Appendix B (2018) including Type A and Type B sediment basins.
Participants can attend one, two, three or all four workshops, although must complete the previous workshops before attending the latter days. Registrations for single workshops 2, 3 and 4 will not be accepted unless the prior day’s workshops have been completed. For example, participants can register for workshops 3 and 4, as long as workshops 1 and 2 have been completed on a previous course.
Workshop 1 (one day): Fundamentals of Erosion and Sediment Control
Workshop 1 covers the regulatory requirements, basic soil science, problem soils and how, when and why to use various erosion and sediment control products and practices. It provides independent guidance on the selection, suitability and application of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures on construction and development sites. The workshop includes exercises on reading and understanding real-world examples of Erosion and Sediment Control Plans.
- Legal Considerations for Erosion and Sediment Control
- Theory of Erosion and Sediment Control
- Soils, Problem Soils and Soil Conservation
- Selection and Implementation of Erosion and Sediment Control Products and Techniques
Workshop 2 (one day): How to use the IECA Guidelines
Workshop 2 reviews the contents of the IECA Best Practice in Erosion and Sediment Control Manual and provides guidance, including the use of a flowchart, on how to use the manual for developments in Queensland.
- Site Assessment and Site Planning
- Erosion Hazard Assessment and Use of the RUSLE Equation
- Where to Find Relevant Information in the IECA Document
- Drainage, Erosion and Sediment Control Standards in accordance with IECA 2008
- Working in Watercourses
- Group Exercises – Planning for Erosion and Sediment Control on Construction Sites and Preparing an Erosion and Sediment Control Plan for a Single Lot Construction Site
Workshop 3 (one day): Water Management on Construction Sites
Workshop 3 trains those responsible for the design of erosion and sediment control measures on development sites. This workshop focuses mainly on sediment basins and water diversion structures, two key features of any Erosion and Sediment Control Plan.
- Theory of Water Management
- Application of Water Management on Construction Sites
- Sizing and Designing Types A, B, C and D Sediment Basins
- Calculating Flows for Design of Catch Drains and Diversion Structures
- Practical Examples and Real-life Practice Exercises – Small Construction Sites, Rail Corridors, Creek Crossings and Pipelines.
Workshop 4 (one day): Preparing and Reviewing Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
Workshop 4 draws together the information presented in the earlier workshops. It covers the identification and design of erosion and sediment control measures on development sites and their delineation on a plan. It involves extensive group work and practical exercises to prepare and review ESCPs on major projects.
- Site Inspections, Use of Checklists and Key Points to Check
- Guided Practical Examples and Real-life Practice Exercises in ESCP Preparation and Review for Major Commercial and Road Developments