Four one day professional development workshops for practitioners in Erosion and Sediment Control, based on Volume 1 of Managing Urban Stormwater: Soils and Construction (Landcom, 2004) (the “Blue Book”).
Workshop 1 (one day): Fundamentals of Erosion and Sediment Control
Workshop 1 provides training for people responsible for the selection, installation, inspection or maintenance of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures.
- The Theory of Soils and Soil Conservation
- How, When and Why to use various Erosion and Sediment Control Products or Practices
- Tips for conducting Inspections of Erosion and Sediment Controls on Sites
- Real-world Examples of Reading and Understanding Erosion and Sediment Control Plans
Workshop 2 (one day): How to use the Blue Book
This workshop gives a broad overview of the material contained in the “Blue Book”. It introduces RUSLE, the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation, as a tool for assessing erosion risk at a site under different management conditions.
- Site Assessment and Site Planning
- Effective Methods of Erosion and Sediment Control
- How to Manage and Inspect a Work Site for Erosion and Sediment Control
Workshop 3 (one day): Water Management on Construction Sites
Workshop 3 trains those responsible for the selection, design or review of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures on urban construction sites. Workshop 3 is geared mainly for consultants who prepare and regulators who review Soil and Water Management Plans.
- Theory and Application of Water Management on Construction Sites
- How to Size and Design Sediment Basins
- How to Design Catch Drains and Diversion Structures
Workshop 4: (one day) Preparing and Reviewing Plans for Soil and Water Management
Workshop 4 trains personnel responsible for the identification and design of temporary and permanent erosion and sediment control measures on construction sites and for their delineation on a plan. It pulls together the information presented at Workshops 1, 2 and 3, and is a practical application of the work undertaken at the earlier workshops.
- Theory of Plan Preparation
- How to Prepare a Plan with a Guided Practice Exercise
- How to Prepare a Plan Using Local Examples
- How to Review Soil and Water Management Plans and Erosion and Sediment Control Plans